The 68th Annual Watermelon Festival is over, and it was the best ever! We’ll start planning next year’s in Spring of 2019.
Friday, June 8th, 2018 at 6:30 PM
Awards for Race Winner & Best Dressed Bed
- Race Winner wins $25 cash and custody of the Bragging Rights Traveling Trophy
- Best-Dressed Bed Winner wins $25 cash prize
$25 REGISTRATION FEE – Entry Due June 4, 2018
Apply by filling in the online form below or Download Application and submit by June 4th.
Rules of the Road
- Entry fee of $25 is to be paid to Monticello Jefferson County Chamber of Commerce. Check your email after submitting below for link to Payment page.
- Each race team may consiste of two pushers, one rider (two alternate pushers optional).
- To maintain fairness, winning teams will be allowed to use alternate pushers in 2nd and 3rd heats ONLY if the opposing team has fresh pushers also. In other words, if a team does NOT have alternates, and are on a 2nd or 3rd heat, they will not be matched up with a team of fresh alternate pushers.
- All participants must be at least 18 years of age, be a member or a relative of a member of the organization entering the race and must sign a release prior to the race.
- Bed Specifications
- Edges, corners or projections on bed must be adequately padded to avoid injury.
- Bed must be STRUCTURALLY SOUND TO BE PUSHED ON A BUMPY STREET.
- Some form of safety strap, tie-down, belt, helmet, etc. must be provided for rider.
- No baby mattresses, Styrofoam or air mattresses allowed.
- Mattresses must be securely fastened to bed.
- No baby beds allowd.
- Beds should be decorated and ready for contention for the “Best Dressed Bed” Award.
- Beds must be pushed from headboard end and cannot be pulled.
- Foot power only, no propelling motors or engines allowed.
- Pushers MUST be able to stop bed from full velocity within a reasonable distance.
- Teams must have beds at staging area no later than 6:30 PM, and be ready for inspection.
- Bed may be disqualified if rules/specifications are not met, and the entry fee will be forfeited.
- Races shall be run in heats based on challenges and/or after the teams are drawn. If odd numbers of teams exist, one team shall be the ‘odd man out’ as determined by the draw, and will sit out until the following heat(s).
- First race begins at 6:30 PM.
- Each team’s bed rider will be required to wear pajamas (provided) over your regular clothing, get out of the bed at the turn around point (while pushers are turning bed), make 3 basketball goals, then put pajamas back on before finishing the race.
- Each person that comes to support your team (and only your team) earns you a one inch advantage at the starting line by signing the Bed Booster form.
ALL TEAM MEMBERS WILL BE REQUIRED TO SIGN AN EVENT RELEASE FORM PRIOR TO PARTICIPATING IN THE BED RACE.