Carrie Ann & Co. Custom Catering ∙ Brenda Sorenson, EA ∙ Stoutamire – Pavlik & Associates
The Jefferson County Watermelon Festival Parade is an annual celebration of Jefferson County’s rich history and culture. It’s an excellent time for the community to gather and socialize while celebrating the place we call home. Adults and children alike are guaranteed to have a fun time.
Watermelon Festival Parade Theme and Prizes
We encourage anyone interested in being part of the fun to enter the parade. Individuals, small businesses, non-profit organizations, religious groups, and more are welcome. The theme this year is “Our Town.” Think the courthouse, Opera House, museums, etc. – anything celebrating our town and its landmarks, culture, history, and more!
Prizes are awarded for the following categories:
- Best Merchant
- Best Civic or Group
- Most Unusual
- Spirit Award
- Best Theme
- Best in Show
Best in Show winner will receive $100. Winners of other categories will receive $40. Framed certificates will be awarded at the courthouse circle and all checks will be mailed.
Parade commences at 10:00 AM on Saturday, June 15th, 2019. All decorated units must be in their assigned positions by 9:00 AM for judging to begin (late arrivals are not eligible to receive prizes).
Watermelon Festival Parade Rules
- Motor vehicle drivers must have valid driver’s license and proof of current insurance as required by Florida law.
- No fast or dangerous driving, tire spinning, or “wheelies” allowed.
- Units must be no higher than 20 feet from street level and no wider than 15 feet.
- All vehicle and trailer brake lights, headlights, and taillights must be in good working order.
- All towed units must be connected with safety chains consistent with Florida law.
- It is recommended to have a fire extinguisher available on each float.
- Units with multiple rows must keep a safe distance between each row.
- Audio, including bull horns, are only allowed for music; no announcements allowed.
- No projectile launcher or other devices commonly used to launch, hurl, or throw any object, liquid, material, or other substance, including “super soakers” or water cannons, may be used in the parade.
- Animal units must provide clean-up personnel to follow them and must be available at time of judging.
- Failure to supply clean-up personnel results in disqualification and forfeiture of entry fee.
- Candy, toys, etc. cannot be thrown from moving vehicles; items must be distributed only by walkers.
- No tricks or stunts allowed at the courthouse circle.
- No small children are to walk directly beside, in front of, or behind motorized entries. Transportation must be available to avoid delays.
- All minors must be accompanied by an adult/s at all times.
- Line up areas MUST be clear of all trash or a $25 fine may be assessed.
- Absolutely no firearms (real or fake) may be carried on floats, by walkers, or mounted on parade units; law enforcement officers carrying holstered, standard issue weapons are the only exception.
- Use of alcoholic beverages/illegal substances is not tolerated.
Parade Officials and Law Enforcement oversee parade activities and will escort any entry becoming reckless or in violation of these rules from the parade. The group or individual removed forfeits their entry fee, is ineligible to participate in the 2020 Watermelon Festival parade, and only permitted under strict probation in future years.
How to Enter Watermelon Festival Parade
Anyone wishing to enter the Watermelon Festival Parade 2019 must fill out the application form at the bottom of this page.
There is a fee for each type of entry. Watermelon Festival entries (queens, etc.) and law enforcement are not required to pay an entry fee.
Please call the number at the bottom of this page if you have questions about where your entry fits into the fee schedule.
$10.00 Fee – Individuals, Livestock, Non-profit (501-3(C) only), Religious, Sports teams
$20.00 Fee – Political, Child care, Small business, County, Other non-profit (organizations, etc.)
$30.00 Fee – Corporations, Businesses, Other area festivals, ALL entries with 3 or more vehicles
***APPLICATION AND ENTRY FEE DUE BY FRIDAY, MAY 31 2019***
To apply online, fill in the form below. You will be redirected to the Payment page.
You can also download a PDF of the Application and mail the application and entry fee to:
Monticello/Jefferson Chamber of Commerce
ATTN: Parade Chair
420 W. Washington St
Monticello, FL 32344
Make checks payable to “Jefferson County Watermelon Festival.”
Returned checks, i.e. NSF, will result in an additional $25.00 fee.
Entries are reviewed and approved by the Parade Committee based on quality and entertainment value. It is understood and agreed that all decisions by the Parade Committee to accept or decline applications are FINAL and that entry fees of all declined applicants will be returned.